Tin Tin's Sailing Calendar

Friday 2 December 2016

Medical training in the UK

Mark and I have now completed the 4-day Medical First Aid course at Hamble School of Yachting with our excellent trainer Sue Johnson.  The four day course was tough but very interesting and engaging, and has given us a great set of skills to respond to medical emergencies at sea, from fractured limbs to heart attacks.
Putting a neck brace on a suspected spinal injury
Then, while Mark and Stuart went Tenerife for a few days maintenance work, I stayed on for the  5-day Medical Care course, so that I could get the full Marine & Coastguard Agency approved qualification required for commercial vessels, which will allow me to prescribe and requisition any necessary drugs without recourse to a doctor.

Days 5 & 6 dealt with lots of wound treatment, and a detailed practical using sterile procedures and proper equipment to learn to insert catheters.
Ready to start with the sterile catheter kit


At the end of Day 7 I am proudly able to inject sub-dermal anaesthetic and suture wounds neatly.  
My dressmaking skills are handy suturing wounds
Following the course our over-riding aim is to prevent accidents from happening!

Meanwhile back in Tenerife, Mark & Stuart are cracking on with all sorts off outstanding jobs.  To my great relief they report that the freezer is working well and maintaining -12.7 degrees C.

I aim to be back on board on Tuesday 6th December and to then set sail for Cape Verde on the 7th.  

No comments: